Both academia and industry are investigating novel approaches to conceive satellite systems able to attend near a Terabit per second forward link capacity in order to serve a huge number of simultaneous users. As a matter of fact, this can only be done if the different beams that provide connectivity to the user terminals share all the available bandwidth. This aggressive frequency reuse scheme leads to a large increase of the inter-beam interference, making interference mitigation (IM) techniques mandatory.
Inter-beam interference in the forward link can be mitigated either at the receiver or at the transmitter side. While receiver based (multiuser detection) IM increases the complexity and cost of the user terminal, trasmitter based (precoding) IM assumes that the receiver performs single user detection leading to substantial reduction of the receiver complexity.
However, precoding needs to waste communication resources for feeding back the channel state information to the gateway. In addition, even though the transmitter has an accurate version of the channel matrix, the achievable rates are reduced due to multicast transmission of general satellite standards.
- M. Á. Vázquez, A. I. Pérez-Neira, D. Christopoulos, S. Chatzinotas, B. Ottersten, A. Ginesi, D. Arapoglou, G. Taricco, Precoding in Multibeam Satellite Communications: Present and Future Challenges , IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 88 – 95, December 2016.
- V. Joroughi, M. Á. Vázquez, A. I. Pérez-Neira, Precoding in Multigateway Multibeam Satellite Systems , IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 15, No. 7, pp. 1-13, July 2016.
- V. Joroughi, M. Á. Vázquez, A. I. Pérez-Neira, Generalized Multicast Multibeam Precoding for Satellite Communications , IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 952 – 966, February 2017.
- V. Joroughi, M. Á. Vázquez, A. I. Pérez-Neira, B. Devillers, On-Board Beam Generation for Multibeam Satellite Systems , IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 3714 – 3726, June 2017.
- M. Á. Vázquez, Shankar B.M.R., Kourogiorgas C., Arapoglou P.D., Icolari V., Chatzinotas S., Panagopoulos A., A. I. Pérez-Neira, Precoding, Scheduling and Link Adaptation in Mobile Interactive Multibeam Satellite Systems, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 2018.
- M. Á. Vázquez, A. Konnar, L. Blanco, N. D. Sidiropoulos, A. I. Pérez-Neira, Non-convex consensus ADMM for Satellite Precoder Design , in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP’17), March 5-9, 2017, New Orleans, Louisiana , March 2017.
- M. Á. Vázquez, M. Caus, A. I. Pérez-Neira, Performance Analysis of Joint Precoding and MUD Techniques in Multibeam Satellite Systems , in Proceedings of the IEEE Global Communications Conference (IEEE Globecom 2016), 4-8 December 2016, Washington (USA).